It’s almost that time of the year again, when the new Android developer previews are pushed out to registered users. But we may have already received a first look at the upcoming Android 12 update thanks to XDA-Developers, along with plenty more details.
The apparent screenshots show a light beige look (possibly due to support for theming in Android 12) and plenty of rounded widgets. It’s also believed that several privacy-related tweaks and additions are incoming too. So that got us wondering what Android Authority readers thought of Android 12 at this juncture.
What do you think of the Android 12 leaks so far?
We posted the poll on February 10 2021, and 1,099 votes were tallied as of writing. The results show that almost three-quarters of voters are liking what they see at this point. We can see why too, with the privacy features in particular (e.g. camera and mic indicators, and new privacy toggles) being pretty sensible additions.
A quarter of polled readers expressed dissatisfaction with the apparent Android 12 leaks though, but they made up a vocal majority in the comments. These comments point to the possible UI design as being the chief complaint. It seems like early days for Android 12, so it’s still possible the visual style could change if the screenshots were indeed accurate.
It’s also possible some features might be pushed back to a later Android release though, as we saw with Android 11 and features like the double-tap-on-the-back gesture. Here’s hoping we nevertheless get that missing feature and much more in Android 12’s stable release.
- anmol: looks absolutely hideous with those curves. make sure you include this in your comments. smfh
- PRSXFENG: No no no, the direction of everything going round round round is just not great.
- Anthorama: 74% should get an iphone since they just like their design
- Hundakko: The rounded corners take it closer to iOS and MacOS. Android will lose its uniqueness with those curves. Currently it’s like, Microsoft- Subtly Rounded, Apple- Radically Rounded, Google- Somewhere in between. But the theming and privacy features are good.
- Andrew Zuo: Looks too much like iOS. Pass. The notification drawer already works, Google needs to stop changing it every release.
- Mike S: In addition to the others, it’d sure be nice to get some kind of external display working and widely supported. Similar to DEX maybe and not just Chromecast? Like was promised in the Nexxus 4 but with HDMI.
- Drone9: Layout – Ok. Color – Wtf happened to your color calibration??
That’s it for our Android 12 poll, thanks for voting and for submitting comments! What do you think of the Android 12 leaks? Let us know via the comments.