Welcome to the 402nd edition of Android Apps Weekly. Here are the big headlines from the last week:
- WhatsApp is probably getting a new community feature at some point. An APK teardown revealed the new feature. In the code, it outlines a new social media feature in the works. Unfortunately, it’s very early days so we don’t know what it is yet. There are clues that suggest something like a community where you can send invite links to people. It could be a ton of different things from Discord server-style group chats or a community chat like Facebook. We’ll have to wait and see.
- Google TV received an update this week. It added user profiles, similar to what you see on Hulu or Netflix. It’s one of the most popular streaming features in households because it lets everybody manage their own stuff. Of course, Google TV is a whole platform so it’ll work a lot like profiles do in Android. You can download apps, login with your own credentials, and set up your stuff the way you want. Hit the link to learn more.
- We asked our readers if they preferred the occasionally great camera shot or consistently good shots. The idea is that some cameras and camera apps can put together an amazing photo occasionally and others put consistently good shots together, but rarely something incredible. Our readers almost universally preferred a camera app or system that put together good shots all the time. Hit the link to see the full poll details.
- Our latest Wallpaper Wednesday was a pretty good one. There were a few good portrait-style wallpapers and a few landscape-style wallpapers as well. I was personally a big fan of the purple and black abstract one as it really makes my icons pop. There is also a Google Drive link in the article with all previous wallpapers featured. Hit the link to see this week’s wallpapers and all of the ones sent to us so far.
- Google is apparently working on a Pixel phone subscription service. Pixel Pass gives you service via Google Fi, YouTube access with YouTube Premium, Google Play Pass, and a Google One (Google Drive) account with one single subscription service. We don’t know a ton of details yet, like its cost. However, a leaked graphic shows us quite a few details about the service. We asked our readers and they said they would pay around $30 for it at most. It’ll likely cost more than that, though, since it does include a whole mobile phone plan on top of everything else.