Welcome to the 422nd edition of Android Apps Weekly. Here are the headlines from the last week:
- Members of the Android Authority team sat down this week and talked about some of their favorite things from Android 13. Some of the stuff we really liked include app installation on guest mode, improvements to Material You, the QR code scanner toggle, and the ability to tap to transfer media. Hit the link to read everything.
- AT&T is hijacking RCS support on mobile phones and people aren’t happy about it. Basically, AT&T’s solution overrides other solutions and it forces AT&T customers to use regular SMS when contacting non-AT&T customers. So far, support responses haven’t been very reassuring and this could get nasty for RCS fans on AT&T.
- Rumors circulated this week about Signal Private Messenger being hacked. Thankfully, those rumors turned out to be false. Signal noted that it saw increased usage in Eastern Europe right around when Russia declared war and believed the rumor was meant as a misinformation campaign to encourage people to use less secure alternatives. Hit the link to learn more.
- Last year, Crunchyroll and Funimation became a part of the same company. Starting this week, Crunchyroll is absorbing Funimation, Wakanim, and VRV content to become one big streaming service on its own. Overall, Crunchyroll is getting about 80% of Funimation’s library before the end of March 2022. This is a huge deal and great news for anime fans as they can now see almost everything under one roof.
- Samsung is in trouble this week. The company apparently throttled the performance of thousands of applications across several generations of devices. It uses the Game Optimizing Service to do so, and we found that it was on phones as new as the S22 lineup. Samsung allegedly started an internal investigation to put a stop to this. We’ll let you know more about it as more things happen.
Hyde and Seek
Price: Free / Up to $20.99